Today's rant: Tests
I just spent two weeks learning about this, why do we need to do a huge review? The ones I hate especially are the tests you take before you do the unit. Like, "don't expect to do well, it's okay if you don't" but really. I just end up getting frustrated and angry, because a test is a test, and even though a bunch of people don't care, if you do bad you fail, no matter what kind of test.
I also happen to have parents who get disappointed if I don't do well enough on a test.Well. In grade four, we did a test and there was one question on the test that only one person in the whole math class got right. You know what the teacher did? He crossed it off the test. He said, "I think that means I need to teach it to you better," or something like that. I agree! If like, a quarter of the class does bad, well, pay attention more often. In my personal opinion however, tests? I think we can get on okay WITHOUT them.
The test before the unit is called a diagnostic test. Its purpose is to let a teacher know what students know about a topic before you teach it so that you can tailor your teaching to the deficits / strengths.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big test guy myself. I like projects more which allow students to apply what they have learned. Not every student is a good test taker.
I like projects WAY better then tests because i feel like we have more to prove kinda!
ReplyDeleteNot necessarily prove, but you are able to show way more of what you have learned.
Delete